I really enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to the finished product!
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Join the server:
**WARNING OF FLASHING COLORS AND LIGHTS***
Everhood is an unpredictable game with musical gameplay elements with a wonderland-esque world.
It is mainly focused on gamers that are looking for new innovative experience.
A wooden doll is awoken in a forest glade on a quest to retrieve back his arm that was stolen by a blue gnome thief.
|Arrowkeys or WASD||movement|
|Enter/spacebar or E||interact|
If you are a video-maker/youtube/streamer there is a chance that you want to disable the music when you meet the white skeleton. The song might take down your video because of copyright laws.
Sorry about that inconvinence.
Chris Nordgren's homebrew soundcloud music
Dancefloor is Lava - Tinnitus Dance
Shpongle - Shpongolese Spoken Here
Linux/Mac version are untested. Please go ahead and send us a message if they do not work.
This is only a short version of the game, also known as a vertical slice.
Feel free to make sure to contact us through email, directly to our twitters accounts or discord with suggestions, ideas or feedback :)
- Enter the void2 days ago
- Christmas and 202017 days ago
- Minor update #229 days ago
- Minor update45 days ago
- Playtest & Vacation58 days ago
- Why am I doing this?87 days ago
- More than 1 year developing EverhoodOct 11, 2019
- Writing narrative for EverhoodSep 27, 2019
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I like this game a lot, so i await for release. Thank you for this vertical slice and good luck in develop.
After you released an last update, i replay the game and found this bug. lul tsss i'll try to get my arm back from his backpack *ehhehhe*
The vertical slice was an absolute JOY to play. I used to played rhythm games back in the day and this is such a nice evolution / divergence of the genre. There's an intriguing story and world, with plenty of characters I'm genuinely interested enough to engage with to learn more about what the hell is going on in this place (especially with all the cryptic dialogue). The MUSIC though is bloody fantastic and there wasn't a track I didn't genuinely enjoying listening to. I'd buy the OST for this in a heartbeat. Replaying battles was rewarding enough purely to listen to the music again. The visuals were great too and matched perfectly with the theme of the game.
I broke down my feedback into some rough bullet points below so hopefully these help with development! Otherwise amazing job overall - actually SUPER keen to play the full version.
Pros / Keep doing this:
- music is great. would 100% buy the OST - made replaying levels enjoyable just for the chance to hear the music again
- difficult progression was good. new obstacles introduced with each new fight was paced well. intro frog fight was a solid tutorial
- checkpoints were a godsend in the longer battles
- even when shit got crazy with a bunch of notes coming towards you it was relatively easy to adapt and go with the flow. Again the music telegraphed incoming attacks and pauses extremely well
- health is nice and forgiving but not TOO forgiving
- story / world is suitably mysterious. lots of potential to learn more about the world from random NPCs like the ones in the dance club. Feels like exploring the world and choosing certain dialogue options will lead to some interesting story paths
- the music tone-match puzzle was awesome and suited the game very well
- visuals are awesome - match the music perfectly. Seeing the enemy animations as they cast their notes was great. I'll admit I died a few times purely because I was enjoying watching their movements haha
Crits / suggestions:
- bop the player to the beat of the music
- different sprites for each lane position
- make each note light up the square tile that is underneath it as it passes over so it's easier to read timings. Was often difficult to tell when I was clear to jump simply due to the shape of the note graphic. If I can see how quickly a tile is being lit / unlit it'd be easier to read the note timing
- (might already be fixed) if you replay the ATM battle there's no way to forfeit and just go back to the overworld if you've already cleared the battle
- clearer boundaries in the overworld for movement / more definition to the world. I'm sure this is already in development but yeah just general more art assets in the overworld when exploring (although I do like the abundant use of empty black areas!)
- was able to tap my keyboard pretty well along with the beat of the music to avoid obstacles but sometimes it was a little off. Any potential to sync the player actions up more with the notes would be sweet
- the 3D model enemies were awesome but I'm on the fence if they fit the game overall? Either add more 3D elements into the game (battle / overworld environments) or commit to the 2D pixel art for the enemy encounters for consistency, otherwise they feel a liiiiittle bit out of place
I really appreciate this game with an amazing combination of pixel graphics and rhythm based elements I'd be more than happy to play this game in full if it gets a full release. Keep up the good work :D
I enjoyed this game I like rythm of the music and others thhings like that thanks
i absolutely loved this game, it simply was magical, and mysterious, which are both qualities that i really loved while playing this game. I will say that sometimes controls were a bit iffy, (specifically when the blocks in front of the "notes" couldnt be escaped until you move to the side) but the only reason being that there was no instruction that wouldve prevented me fro restarting the level with the knowledge of NOT being able to jump over those rectangular blocks. But everything else in here was amazing! i'll try to see if i can scrape up enough money to buy a full version when it comes out. graphics were beautiful, and the music was really cool too! everything about this game was amazing!! keep up the amazing work guys!!!
This is a very good game if you like undertale and beat games with great story, music and characters.
It was really good, I wish there was a skip option for dialogue, or at least a skip so it finishes the sentence instantly. Also, the levels are sooo long, which can be fun but if you mess up and die you have to restart like 3 minutes of work it can be really unfun to play because of that. Also the game didn't tell me how to deal with the keys with the long blocks on top ( i think it means use up and to the right/left keys) so i have to move slots and jump at the same time. maybe there could be like a mini tutorial at the beginning about that. Also the health system was extremely confusing, at the beginning i thought oh they made it very generous because it's sorta like a demo version. but later on it was like 3 lives, but if you beat a section of the battle you heal 1, but obviously if you used all 3 lives at once you'd have to restart, but sometimes, i swear i got hit & it made the sound but the bar wouldn't go down. and I was just in a battle where I would lose all 3 lives but the battle would continue on and refill my bar to full? So I'm very confused as to how that all works. But overall the game is great, the art, sound effects, dialogue, etc is perfect! and the music in the battles is soooo gooddd, overall 7/10! and this is just the short version so it could definitely become a 9 or a 10/10 in the future with some minor changes & polishing. keep up the good work! :)
Very awesome game!!
This is a MASTERPIECE it was a interring and fun experience good job guys :3
Absolutely loved it. Not too obvious with storytelling, not too cryptic. Music felt very natural, all tracks fit together. Absolutely sold on full release day.
One aesthetic idea: your character should bob along to the beat of the song you're listening to in battle instead of a constant pace despite the song's tempo.
A little visual tweak; during battle, being in each of the five columns should have a different view of the character (facing back to the viewer in center, facing more towards the right when on the left, facing more towards the left when on the right columns). This way your character is always focused on the actions of the enemy during the heat of battle.
Enjoyed every second. Would love more puzzles too, the tone puzzle was a good change of pace!
I prefered the frog's music but the animation is crispy and i would buy the full game. Continue your good work
Loved it, will definitely buy the full release.
The fight with the VIP dude was the highlight for me. His animations were clean and the beats were meaty. I also really liked the music for the frogs.
There were some parts where it felt like I needed to quickly double tap in one direction to avoid getting hit, and I think that would be pretty hard to do on controllers if you're thinking about releasing on console.
The last songs were quite intense but I never dropped below two health. Maybe for a harder mode you can nerf the health regeneration a bit or get rid of the checkpoints
it was a really fun experiment i streamed it for my friends on discord they really enjoyed it
wish it was bit longer tho but i guess we have to wait for the full game :P
i must say it took a bit of time to figure the puzzle
Glich after the demon battle same time talk him an the VIP ticket make a softlock.
This is an amazing game even as is. Although there are some minor inconveniences, I'm sure with your plans for a full game they will be fully conceived. My main criticism is the dialogue thing where you can't hit "Space" twice and skip a whole dialogue (like Undertale) but it's still really great. I would totally rate this as a 10/10. So glad I tried this.
Honestly, this game is amazing. I'm surprised not too many people are talking about it. When the full game releases, I'll be more than willing to pay any amount. Is there a Patreon, Kickstarter, or GoFundMe where I can support this game and/or it's creators?
Really fun game! it really is such an interesting new style of gameplay. 10/10
Woah... I'm speechless. This game is absolutely amazing! I can't wait for the full release. 10/10
Really great game. The story is nice and well-written, and the characters have some charm to them. The game had a somewhat "undertale" vibe to it, which I like. Some parts on some levels felt a bit too easy, but aside from that, I have no problems with the level design. The music was also quite catchy. Overall, I love this game, and I'm looking forward to its release.
I just tried This game today and it was Fantastic .The story had a lot of depth while the characters had there own spark to them . I hope to try out the game when It comes out in full release. The only thing I had a problem with was the last boss because some of the stage you could just hang to the left near the end.But other than that this game was a Blast.
Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it!
We will need to make sure the bosses are less cheeseable :)
would definitely play this game in full, though i would like to see background characters around to change their dialogue after a battle (like red tie). I loved the music too!
I like this game i want try the full game.
list of enemies and what I thought of them:
- Frog: Nice, good "tutorial" fight
- ATM machine: Decent first level, nothing too bad (I thought for sure we were going to fight the bouncer)
- Red Tie: Waterfall of Death required good reaction but otherwise was fine (I like how the high blocks showed his superiority)
- Mr. Skeltal: the Skrillex influence seemed to show through his chaotic patterns, the hardest guy
-Guru and Frog 2.0: Guru was weird but fine, and frog 2.0 had a huge tendency not to target the left most column, uncertain if purposely or not
i love this please make more the music is amazing and i would love to see this as a full experience. the last encounter may be a tad long though also whats up with the buddha? keep it up and keep creating you guys
Definitely interesting! The Undertale influence seems to be very, very strong but it does do more of its own thing with the encounters, story, and tone (vs Pacifist, at least). It has a sort of surreal fairy tale feeling to it (though with a significant amount of modern day influences too), which is neat.
I appreciate the relatively forgiving health regeneration system and the checkpoints, though the last 2 encounters were still very tricky. It definitely can trigger that "how did I even manage to beat that" feeling at times. The varied aesthetic styles of the encounters are also a pretty cool touch.
It's a minor thing but it does strike me as odd that an RPG-ish game like this would have there be momentum to the player character's motion (they don't immediately stop when you tell them to). It's not so extreme that it's hard to control, but seems especially odd compared to the snappiness of the movement in combat.
Oh, and you might want to reduce the flashing effects in parts of the last encounter (particularly with the background changing). I don't have photo-sensitivity issues but if anyone does that could be problematic for them.
The topdown character movement has been configured for future release!
It was something was mainly something we got working and figured we improve afterwards. The test was mainly looking into the battle mechanics and getting the event systems working :)
Yeah the flashing effects are quite a lot, we should look into having it being less blinky.
Pretty cool game! If you're planning to make a full release, I'd strongly recommend using Godot to avoid having to pay royalties :-) Seems like the perfect engine for a game like this ^^
Thanks for the suggestion but sadly we are already in to far in development to make a game engine change! :)
I'm loving the retro-visuals and even the retro-sound effects for selecting an option in a menu! The part about the only way out is a bit creepy though. So was that absolute truth... be careful what message you could be sending to someone...
I tried jumping and moving to the beat, but that didn't work out (Normal difficulty). I haven't played any rhythm games, but it'd be nice if moving to the music was helpful.
Also, great that the animation (of the retro sprites) isn't smooth! That's part of what makes retro games retro games in my opinion!
Music is good, too!
Good that you enjoyed the retro visuals!
Yeah it isn't really a rythm game but it kind of comes across as one!
this game was great the last battle of the demo really got my blood pumping, an aspect of difficulty that really looked for in this game.
I love this game , I can't wait to see more , the battle system is thrilling , I like it even more than undertale's one !
I made an itch.io account to say I loved every second of this demo and cannot wait for more!! Fantastic job :)
At first i didn't really like the game, because of how much it reminded me of undertale, but the incererator fight changed my mind. I feel more determined to finish the game now. Just realized that's the entire demo, but I'm gonna stick around till the full release.
I Just Loved The Game,It's Simple And Very Funny To Play,I Didn't Finished The Game,But I Already Love It.
All I can say amazing game good mechanics, as people have said before I can't wait to play the full game, keep up the good work and let's get the doll in smash (Is there a canon name for the character you play as) and if he get's in smash he'll have an interesting move set and we could have a Geno reskin hopefully this game comes to other platforms because I love this game so much and can't wait to play more I will share this game with my friends and i'm sure they will love it
Now this game. . . Is awesome! Really like the art style of the game and the characters. The music was fantastic and has challenging battle (or rhythm whatever you want to call it :P) This is a game I would gladly to fully play this epic of an game!
Final episode of the Everhood demo!! I loved this game so much. Can't wait until the full version comes out!! :D
(repost of my rating)
I loved this game.Great Sound track, likable characters,good settings.I also like that the idea isn't "Oooh big bad,go defeat him" and more of " *stares at arm* *stares at you* I'm gonna beat your ass". Also (spoilers if you didn't beat the game) when the gnome thief gets his legs stolen,but there is no blood,This make me think"are all of this guys toys?"like smash bros,with a child controlling all and thinking all of this on the go?Also here are my thoughts
-Have fights more common.Like another guy said "have A.T.M.'s be like that in this universe,they just try to steal your soul".But with everything.
-Have a hard mode.When I was playing the easy mode I thought "in the normal mode you must not regenerate!".I went back to playing after eating easy mode because I thought that this was a mocking ending for completing easy mode,and I soon found out that you just regenerate longer.How about for a hard mode ,when you get hit you stay hit.You lost your guard and you must suffer.The only way you can regenerate is by getting to a check point,Or (like another guy said) getting a beat combo.
-(spoilers ,I think)have the "get my arm back"not be the final story.Have a reason to get that arm back!
Also if Geno doesn't get in smash,I'll get this guy in.
This game has so much potential. It was really fun testing it.
Here is a short video we made while playing:
This game is great, I really hope you continue to develop it to its full potential.
I don't have a ton of advice but here are a couple things I think could be improved:
- Battles were completely reactive. This is fine, but sometimes I felt like I needed some kind of proactive action to take other than just dodging what the enemy sent at me. I don't know what could fix this, or even if it really is a problem, but I felt I should mention it.
- Another thing I noticed was that because the sounds play as the attacks (notes?) are created, the optimal player movements often don't sync up with the beat. In a lot of musical games it feels great to move with the beat, especially when you are rewarded for it. Maybe a small bonus for moving in time with the beat, such as a combo that ends when you move offbeat? I don't know. I just wish that my movements were incentivized to be better in sync with the music.
- A small thing that makes a huge difference for me and many other players: you need to implement a way to change text speed or allow for skipping the writing animation. I was often pressing space wishing that it would complete the text box instantly so I could read at a faster pace. It doesn't impact gameplay but it really helps and shouldn't be very hard to add in.
That's all the bad stuff I could think of, so here's all the stuff I really liked:
- I love all the characters, especially how they move as they attack you. My favorite was the ATM and its crazy erratic movements and expression changes. I also really like frog (especially his song) and hope he becomes a recurring character later on.
- The battles are fun. They become really engaging when they're hard. If I judged only by gameplay my favorite fight would be the last because of how many things you need to dodge at once. Gets you into a good flow state.
- I like the weirdness. It makes the world really fun and interesting. I hope that the weirdness actually applies to stuff though. Like the ATM requiring your soul actually being just how ATMs work in this world instead of it just being a funny moment. It's a little hard to explain what I mean here, but if you've ever played Mibibli's Quest it's a good example of quirkiness affecting gameplay (it has a musical level with DDR projectiles in one level)
- The game feels pretty good. I like how the backgrounds pulse with the beat
-EDIT: I almost forgot: the visuals are great. I love the aesthetic and atmosphere
Overall, I'm really happy I stumled on this game. I think it has a ton of potential
Great amount of feedback, good insight and nice clarifications. We have several ideas to put into action to counter some of these but I will return to this comment throughout development to make sure I feel satisifed this has been answered well :)
Awesome to hear that you enjoyed the game overall!
Also we are currently making the full game ;)