would definitely play this game in full, though i would like to see background characters around to change their dialogue after a battle (like red tie). I loved the music too!
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
**WARNING OF FLASHING COLORS AND LIGHTS***
Everhood is an unpredictable game with musical gameplay elements with a wonderland-esque world. It is mainly focused on gamers that are looking for new innovative experience.
A wooden doll is awoken in a forest glade on a quest to retrieve back his arm that was stolen by a blue gnome thief.
|Arrowkeys or WASD||movement|
|Enter/spacebar or E||interact|
This is only a short version of the game, also known as a vertical slice.
If you want to see full game make sure to contact us through email or directly to our twitters accounts:
If you are a video-maker/youtube/streamer there is a chance that you want to disable the music when you meet the white skeleton. The song might take down your video because of copyright laws.
Sorry about that inconvinence.
Official email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/fwEed4F
Chris Nordgren's homebrew soundcloud music
Dancefloor is Lava - Tinnitus Dance
Shpongle - Shpongolese Spoken Here
Linux/Mac version are untested. Please go ahead and send us a message if they do not work.
- Everhood code architecture thoughts5 days ago
- Mental health19 days ago
- Everhood is getting bigger and bigger. Tips to handle big projects33 days ago
- 4-5 months into development47 days ago
- The puzzle with music in his veins62 days ago
- ATM machine Post-Mortem and some thoughts before deciding what to include in the...75 days ago
- How is Everhood going + Lets create 2D lasers in unity !90 days ago
- Everhood or the idea to stop worrying about making the game a financial successFeb 07, 2019
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I like this game i want try the full game.
list of enemies and what I thought of them:
- Frog: Nice, good "tutorial" fight
- ATM machine: Decent first level, nothing too bad (I thought for sure we were going to fight the bouncer)
- Red Tie: Waterfall of Death required good reaction but otherwise was fine (I like how the high blocks showed his superiority)
- Mr. Skeltal: the Skrillex influence seemed to show through his chaotic patterns, the hardest guy
-Guru and Frog 2.0: Guru was weird but fine, and frog 2.0 had a huge tendency not to target the left most column, uncertain if purposely or not
i love this please make more the music is amazing and i would love to see this as a full experience. the last encounter may be a tad long though also whats up with the buddha? keep it up and keep creating you guys
Definitely interesting! The Undertale influence seems to be very, very strong but it does do more of its own thing with the encounters, story, and tone (vs Pacifist, at least). It has a sort of surreal fairy tale feeling to it (though with a significant amount of modern day influences too), which is neat.
I appreciate the relatively forgiving health regeneration system and the checkpoints, though the last 2 encounters were still very tricky. It definitely can trigger that "how did I even manage to beat that" feeling at times. The varied aesthetic styles of the encounters are also a pretty cool touch.
It's a minor thing but it does strike me as odd that an RPG-ish game like this would have there be momentum to the player character's motion (they don't immediately stop when you tell them to). It's not so extreme that it's hard to control, but seems especially odd compared to the snappiness of the movement in combat.
Oh, and you might want to reduce the flashing effects in parts of the last encounter (particularly with the background changing). I don't have photo-sensitivity issues but if anyone does that could be problematic for them.
The topdown character movement has been configured for future release!
It was something was mainly something we got working and figured we improve afterwards. The test was mainly looking into the battle mechanics and getting the event systems working :)
Yeah the flashing effects are quite a lot, we should look into having it being less blinky.
Pretty cool game! If you're planning to make a full release, I'd strongly recommend using Godot to avoid having to pay royalties :-) Seems like the perfect engine for a game like this ^^
Thanks for the suggestion but sadly we are already in to far in development to make a game engine change! :)
I'm loving the retro-visuals and even the retro-sound effects for selecting an option in a menu! The part about the only way out is a bit creepy though. So was that absolute truth... be careful what message you could be sending to someone...
I tried jumping and moving to the beat, but that didn't work out (Normal difficulty). I haven't played any rhythm games, but it'd be nice if moving to the music was helpful.
Also, great that the animation (of the retro sprites) isn't smooth! That's part of what makes retro games retro games in my opinion!
Music is good, too!
Good that you enjoyed the retro visuals!
Yeah it isn't really a rythm game but it kind of comes across as one!
this game was great the last battle of the demo really got my blood pumping, an aspect of difficulty that really looked for in this game.
I love this game , I can't wait to see more , the battle system is thrilling , I like it even more than undertale's one !
I made an itch.io account to say I loved every second of this demo and cannot wait for more!! Fantastic job :)
At first i didn't really like the game, because of how much it reminded me of undertale, but the incererator fight changed my mind. I feel more determined to finish the game now. Just realized that's the entire demo, but I'm gonna stick around till the full release.
I Just Loved The Game,It's Simple And Very Funny To Play,I Didn't Finished The Game,But I Already Love It.
All I can say amazing game good mechanics, as people have said before I can't wait to play the full game, keep up the good work and let's get the doll in smash (Is there a canon name for the character you play as) and if he get's in smash he'll have an interesting move set and we could have a Geno reskin hopefully this game comes to other platforms because I love this game so much and can't wait to play more I will share this game with my friends and i'm sure they will love it
Now this game. . . Is awesome! Really like the art style of the game and the characters. The music was fantastic and has challenging battle (or rhythm whatever you want to call it :P) This is a game I would gladly to fully play this epic of an game!
Final episode of the Everhood demo!! I loved this game so much. Can't wait until the full version comes out!! :D
(repost of my rating)
I loved this game.Great Sound track, likable characters,good settings.I also like that the idea isn't "Oooh big bad,go defeat him" and more of " *stares at arm* *stares at you* I'm gonna beat your ass". Also (spoilers if you didn't beat the game) when the gnome thief gets his legs stolen,but there is no blood,This make me think"are all of this guys toys?"like smash bros,with a child controlling all and thinking all of this on the go?Also here are my thoughts
-Have fights more common.Like another guy said "have A.T.M.'s be like that in this universe,they just try to steal your soul".But with everything.
-Have a hard mode.When I was playing the easy mode I thought "in the normal mode you must not regenerate!".I went back to playing after eating easy mode because I thought that this was a mocking ending for completing easy mode,and I soon found out that you just regenerate longer.How about for a hard mode ,when you get hit you stay hit.You lost your guard and you must suffer.The only way you can regenerate is by getting to a check point,Or (like another guy said) getting a beat combo.
-(spoilers ,I think)have the "get my arm back"not be the final story.Have a reason to get that arm back!
Also if Geno doesn't get in smash,I'll get this guy in.
This game has so much potential. It was really fun testing it.
Here is a short video we made while playing:
This game is great, I really hope you continue to develop it to its full potential.
I don't have a ton of advice but here are a couple things I think could be improved:
- Battles were completely reactive. This is fine, but sometimes I felt like I needed some kind of proactive action to take other than just dodging what the enemy sent at me. I don't know what could fix this, or even if it really is a problem, but I felt I should mention it.
- Another thing I noticed was that because the sounds play as the attacks (notes?) are created, the optimal player movements often don't sync up with the beat. In a lot of musical games it feels great to move with the beat, especially when you are rewarded for it. Maybe a small bonus for moving in time with the beat, such as a combo that ends when you move offbeat? I don't know. I just wish that my movements were incentivized to be better in sync with the music.
- A small thing that makes a huge difference for me and many other players: you need to implement a way to change text speed or allow for skipping the writing animation. I was often pressing space wishing that it would complete the text box instantly so I could read at a faster pace. It doesn't impact gameplay but it really helps and shouldn't be very hard to add in.
That's all the bad stuff I could think of, so here's all the stuff I really liked:
- I love all the characters, especially how they move as they attack you. My favorite was the ATM and its crazy erratic movements and expression changes. I also really like frog (especially his song) and hope he becomes a recurring character later on.
- The battles are fun. They become really engaging when they're hard. If I judged only by gameplay my favorite fight would be the last because of how many things you need to dodge at once. Gets you into a good flow state.
- I like the weirdness. It makes the world really fun and interesting. I hope that the weirdness actually applies to stuff though. Like the ATM requiring your soul actually being just how ATMs work in this world instead of it just being a funny moment. It's a little hard to explain what I mean here, but if you've ever played Mibibli's Quest it's a good example of quirkiness affecting gameplay (it has a musical level with DDR projectiles in one level)
- The game feels pretty good. I like how the backgrounds pulse with the beat
-EDIT: I almost forgot: the visuals are great. I love the aesthetic and atmosphere
Overall, I'm really happy I stumled on this game. I think it has a ton of potential
Great amount of feedback, good insight and nice clarifications. We have several ideas to put into action to counter some of these but I will return to this comment throughout development to make sure I feel satisifed this has been answered well :)
Awesome to hear that you enjoyed the game overall!
Also we are currently making the full game ;)
i loved the game and you better make a part two. i wanted to fight the pig.
I LOVED how unique each battle was and how mechanics were introduced and then saved for a battle further down the line! Can't wait to see more but if it will be paid on steam I might not be able to get it. Keep up the amazing work!
This is an amazing music game, I hope to see this fully developed on steam one day.
I am really exited
second level: flowey takes over an atm machine and attempts to get revenge on geno, who sports red instead of blue. i already love this game(edited)
OMG THIS WAS THHE BEST THING EVER I SERIOUSLY THOUGHT TOBY FOX MADE THIS ITS SOOOOO GOOD PLEASE CONTINUE YOUR DEVELOPMENT I WANT TO SEE A FULL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GEEZ! This vertical slice is great! I FINALLY got around to playing it and it's just wonderful. I honestly can't find a thing I don't like about the game except the small jumps so I'm not much help. Sorry about that.
Part 2, baby!! Loving this game more & more every time I play it!!
Oh my gosh, I love this so much!! I've already filmed & edited a 2nd episode. This is part 1....
It's great, but I can't seem to move in certain directions at the same time, while it's entirely possible with other directions. Other than that, this is a great experience for anyone to sink an hour or two into!
Yes this is something we will have fixed on full release! :)
Great that you had a good experience! :D
I'm still at the begining of the game, yet it's pretty amazing. The style is very Undertale like, but this is a totally new game. The "combat", in this game is amazing as well. This should be put onto steam, although Toby Fox might see you trying to copy him a little. It's worth the shot though, isn't it?
It will certainly be available in steam as a full game :)
I don't think Toby Fox will think its a bad thing, for Everhood existing. Everhood has certainly been influenced by Undertale :)
Did you finish the vertical slice?
I love this game xD That last boss battle tho OwO <3 SO GOODDD XD I NEED MOREEE!!! ^^
I would throw so much money at your right now just for this soundtrack.
Can't get enough of this game! Love it!
So gooooood!!! Gave me chills :)
I just completed the game and enjoyed all of it, the battles, the overworld and the characters. I really hope that you'll make the full game because it has such potential.
I saw it coming that you have been inspired by Undertale
but I wasn't expecting the writing to be so Toby Fox-like
I needed a new game to play, then I found this. It was an amazingly fun game. short, but who cares? its not even fully released! I just cannot wait for it to be finished. 10/10
It's really awesome. I love the gameplay and It's kindda hard. I love the pixel arts. Honestly it is one of the best game i have played in my life and i want to see it on steam ( just give me a free copy if you lunch it on steam :p )
☐ Casual players
☑ Good players
☐ Pro players
===[ ☼ Graphics: ]===
☐ Really bad
===[ ☣ Requirments: ]===
☐ 90' PC
☐ High end
☐ NASA computer
===[ ☼ Difficulty: ]===
☐ You just need 2 arms
☑ Easy to learn / Hard to master
☐ Hard (first few hours)
☐ Dark Souls
===[ ۞ Game time/length ]===
☑ Really short ( 0 - 2 hours)
☐ Short ( 2 - 8 hours)
☐ Few hours ( 8 - 12 hours)
☐ Long ( 12+ hours)
===[ ♬ Story] ===
☐ It doesn't have
☐ Still better than Minecraft
☑ Very good
===[ § Bugs ]===
☐ Game itself is one big BUG
☐ Bugs destroying the game
☐ Lot of bugs
☐ Few Bugs
===[ ✦ Final rating ]===
This game was a lot of fun to play and i really liked it.
I enjoy the wackiness of the art with a good selection of music to go with each boss fight. The bosses where the perfect level of hard and i just overall loved it.
Welll played and beat it sooo, here is my opinion:
1) I love the art in the battles but the scenarios can have some work (i don´t mean a LOT but a little of assets on the floor, some props, and some "info npcs").
2) I loved the selection of music, specially the battle with death, that one was a lot of fun to pla yagainst and to hear... And i kinda like how weird and fusion like some of the music is...
3) I kinda like more "gamplay" to the gaeplay outside of dodging, like attacking the guy or some items....nothing too fancy.
4) I loved the energy system of this game, it s make mistakes a little more forgiving that is usual on this type of genre...Makes the game more accesible wghitout making it too easy...Really good call on this department.
I enjoyed, and i want to play a little more
I don't think you're supposed to attack back, if you add in a attack mechanism that takes away the musical theme of the game.
this is a amazing game and i suck at it also the beginning gave me a delta rune vibe